Sounds Of Wood

Once A Geordie, Always A Geordie.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Week One!

The first few days in London, I travelled around and got to see a bit of London before my course started. With the help of my monthly travel pass I can travel on the Tube and buses, as many times I want around London. Cool! But I found walking around was better for seeing stuff. I went to Piccadilly, Oxford Circus, Hyde Park, Green Park, The National Army Museum, Knightsbridge, Soho and some other places.
It’s been generally sunny, a few mornings with frost but I reckon that doesn’t mean its cold. I’ve yet to wear a coat! Apparently its 7 degrees here. It can get chilly when the suns down though, nowt a jumper wouldn’t solve.

Day 1 of the course and I was back in the thick of the sound action. Lots of information and practical and I’m really enjoying the course. After the 3rd day I was helping on stage during one of the gigs where 3 bands playing. The headline band was an American band called Manchester Orchestra, which I had not heard of but they sounded good. It was a good insight how things went as bands switched equipment and during the earlier sound checks how different artists set up their gear. At one point I thought this electric guitarist was deaf cause he kept wanting to turn his amp up. It was so loud we couldn’t put any of it through the house and it’s not a small venue! But I’ve been lucky to see all these bands for free and hear different electric & bass guitars, effects and amps and drums, cymbals & snares live.

Thursday was fantastic cause the venue was hosting Sheryl Crowe. Man, they were using a Dshow digital board it was awesome. She was great too. She had her whole band with her and she played songs from her new album and old ones. She’s got a great voice. They were using about 4 different acoustic guitars and it was great to experience how they sounded, they were nice. The total mix was awesome.

The other people on the course with me are nice and it’s been great getting to know them. The course instructors are very helpful and are very keen for us to learn as much as we can during the 4 weeks. Next week I’m helping on another gig probably some others during the week. Its great to get all the hands on experience as you're studying and keeping your eyes and ears open for any information that can be beneficial in the long run!

Check out me photos: London Week One

1 Comments:

  • At 25/2/08 17:16, Blogger Derek said…

    hey wood. it all sounds really great. hopefully you can milk whatever you can and bring it back to us here in HK!

    and make sure you dont get sick! walking around with no jumper or coat! cheeseen!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home