Sounds Of Wood

Once A Geordie, Always A Geordie.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Tha Way Ah Speek

Alreet mates!

For Aall yee fowk not understanding the way Ah speek, 'ere's some 'elp:
(For all you folk who don't understand the way I speak, here's some help)

Geordies use "youse" for plural "you",
"me" for "my",
"us" for "me",
"wor" for "our".
"wors" for "mine" or "ours"
The word "wor" is sometimes placed before the given name of the person being the subject of conversation to denote that they are a family member, for example "wor Allan" or "wor da" (father). It is also quite common for Geordies to use the word "man" for both men and women, as in "howay man" (c'mon you).

Alreet! Belter! Noo yee aall understand us!
(Alright! Fantastic! Now you all understand me!)

Is there any other Geordies out there reading me Blog? Give's a bell!

1 Comments:

  • At 17/9/06 21:18, Blogger Karen Chan said…

    Just want to say that I love the way you talk...and when I look like I don't understand you, it's actually that I'm having a bit of an attention deficit that anything else....ask Matt Snelgrove - he insults me to my face and I'm still going,'Huh?' Well...I think he's insulting me but I can't be sure.
    I wonder what my students would think of your accent - they think mine is funny enough!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home