Sounds Of Wood

Once A Geordie, Always A Geordie.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

FA Cup 1999

Newcastle United 0 ManU 2

I was just going through a pile of papers that I haven't touched in years and I came across a poem. I wrote it just after I watched wor Toon Army lose the FA Cup in 1999. I was devasted! I was probably with every Geordie in HK crammed into Delaney's watching every second to the final whistle. The next day I was still depressed about the game (that's how passionate we Geordies are about wors football) and all of a sudden a flow of words came out.
I remember, I just had this big grin on me face and I had that extra bounce in me step after I finished writing it.
I read it again today but it ment something different this time but it put that same grin on me face and that extra bounce in my step.
The Lord works in mysterious ways!

Day of Destiny

On this field we stand side by side
In our shirts of black & white
Shall we lift that golden cup?
Will we have that lucky touch?
As in the year of 1952
When wor Jackie donned his golden shoes

Face to face against the Devils red
Who will win the battle in the end?
Will we be the glorious today?
Or will our dreams just fade away?
The kick off whistle blows
Who will score that glorious goal?

As we stand amongst our fellow fans
We become a giant band
Cheering for our home team
Wishing for that famous feat

But alas as the final whistle blows
Our heads bow in sorrow
Football's greatest test
And to only make second best

Hopes lost in the wind
The players despair felt within
The golden cup lost
The glorious day shot
STOP!

We battled the teams of many
To come and play at Wembley
From near regulation
To the FA Cup celebration

Lift your heads you Geordie lads
We have no reason to be sad
We beat the rest
To be in this contest

Here we are in Wembley
We, The Toon Army
We shall return another day
Then it will be our glory day
With our mighty leader
Shearer! Shearer! Shearer!

1 Comments:

  • At 29/11/06 17:51, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're gonna kill me for this... but isn't the FA cup silver?

    haha

    anyways, always good to hear some beautiful words!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home